June 2018

MHA Business Meeting

Wednesday June 6, 2018, 8:00 AM

Hauenstein Center, Grand Valley State University

 

-Call to Order by President Ted Frantz

 

-Introduction by Ted Frantz

Short discussion on the minutes from previous MHA business meeting. There will be a more concerted effort to improve recording and reading minutes in the future.

 

-Treasurers Report

 

-Total balance: $2,338.46. This total comes after paying out award checks and expenses.

 

Ted Frantz brought up the discussion of the MHA being the victim of an identify theft scam, causing approximately $1,800 in damages. Police reports were filed with the Tulsa Police Department, but we have not been notified of any additional action. Suggestions were taken from the meeting attendees on what steps the MHA should take to make sure we aren’t targeted again. Possible solutions are two-signature authorizations on checks, limits on dollar amounts and transactions, and scam alerts from our banking institution. Previous Treasurer Bryan Mosmer began repaying the damages from his personal accounts.

 

Motion made by Ted Frantz to forgive Bryan Mosmer from covering the scam damages totaling $1,800. Motion seconded by Gregory Rose, motion passed without abstention.

 

Another discussion was held on the dues structure and capabilities for incoming dues monies. Currently, the structure is $40 for members and $20 for students. Only 70 people have paid dues already and a tentative goal of 150 paying members was set. Many attendees asked what the dues will cover or receive any reciprocal benefits. Jon Lauck suggested securing subscriptions to Midwestern university publications such as the University of Nebraska Press that all members will receive. Could this be extended to other publications as well?

 

Conference expenses were also mentioned as part of the dues coverage. It was suggested that paying members could submit proposals and present, while non-paying members could only be guests at future conferences. The Hauenstein Center will continue hosting the conference and cover majority of the expenses. The conference will be extended to 2-days next year. Current MHA expenses are set aside for the awards and website maintenance. Donors are a potential revenue stream. Subcommittee to investigate potential uses for dues and publication partnerships was also discussed.

 

-Additional Business

 

Attendees put forth the idea of moving to supporter language, rather than member.

Pledge to have better messaging in the future. There are currently 826 email subscribers, but not many people receive the communications. There has not been a recent newsletter, which needs to be revitalized through member contributions. Thomas Richardson emphasized that we need to consider developing a communications and marketing plan to maintain current

subscribers and draw in new followers. We have a strong social media presence on Twitter and Facebook, but this can be expanded.

 

Elections Results:

President Elect; Sara Egge

Secretary: Megan Burke

Treasurer: Patrick Popsieck.

 

Ted Frantz opened the meeting to discussion on future work we need to focus on as an organization. What we do and how we do it next year is important.

 

Podcast: Present work is good and new people are being recruited to host and produce.

 

Jon Lauck mentioned that we need to work on the newsletter some more. We should also continue working and contributing to the affiliate organizations like the OAH and AHA. THANK PEOPLE FROM THE HAUENSTEIN CENTER. Megan Burke suggested quarterly / monthly newsletter mailings. These could be delivered directly to members and feature information about member profile, accomplishments, work, research, and other articles to keep the membership abreast of current events.

 

Ted and Thomas talked about recruiting an individual who can be dedicated to managing the website full-time. Jeff Wells suggested we investigate Reclaim Hosting procedures. Thomas also put forth that we examine some role the organization can have with National History Day.

 

Several members asked about inviting more women speakers and plenary addresses delivered by women’s history experts. This should be done to promote and showcase MHA diversity.

 

Motion made by Thomas Richardson to establish a committee focused on how to use membership dues and explore membership benefits, such as getting free publication subscriptions and awards. Motion seconded by Patrick Popsieck, motion passed without abstention. Volunteers will be needed to staff the committee.

 

Closing Remarks: We will continue to be an open and welcoming organization for everyone.

 

Meeting adjourned at 8:57 AM

 

Faithfully submitted,

 

Thomas Richardson

MHA Conference Liaison